HistoryAbout | History
Heartland State Bank began as the Bank of Vayland in Vayland, SD on January 26, 1909. The bank was moved to Wessington, SD on March 20, 1934 and renamed the Bank of Wessington.
Since that time, there have been five ownership changes. Arnold Domke became cashier of the Bank of Wessington in November 1972. In 1975, a group of local individuals, Wessington Bankshares Holding Company, took over ownership of the bank. Arnold E. Domke was the major stockholder of the holding company and President of the Bank of Wessington. Mr. Domke purchased the bank in 1978.
In 1979, the Bank of Wessington expanded and opened a branch in Tulare, SD. The Tulare community had been without a bank since 1932 and the community has been very supportive to the bank.
In June of 1993 the Bank of Wessington changed its name to Heartland State Bank to better reflect its service to the communities of the Heartland area.
In 1994, The Bank of Wessington again expanded, this time to the west to Highmore, SD.
The newest location of Heartland State Bank opened in Redfield, SD in April of 2007.Heartland State Bank continues to be an Independent Community Bank serving the local communities.